Native advertising is a form of paid media where the ad experience follows the natural form and function of the user experience in which it is placed.
The Essential Components
Native ads match the visual design of the experience they live within, and look & feel like natural content.
Native ads must behave consistently with the native user experience, and function just like natural content.
The concept of native advertising is not new.
Traditionally, some of the most effective ad formats have been those that match the form & function of the user experience, including Search Ads, Promoted Listings, Promoted Videos, and Sponsored Posts.
Now, the biggest platforms and publishers in the world have universally adopted native-first monetization strategies, including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr. And over the past 12 months, the rest of the publishing industry has begun to follow suit, as companies including Time Inc, Forbes, WSJ, New York Times, and Hearst have introduced advertising integrations that match both the form & function of their sites.
Types of Native Ad Integrations
- Sharethrough is a technology platform that powers in-feed, "native" ad placements, enabling publishers to manage and sell native ads on web & mobile. Like Facebook Sponsored Stories or Twitter Promoted Tweets, but built for the rest of the web.
Recommended Content Widgets
- Outbrain drives discovery of article and video content through personalized recommendations that appear in the footer of online article pages.
- Taboola drives discovery of article and video content through personalized recommendations that appear in the footer of online article pages.
- Disqus drives discovery of article and video content through personalized recommendations that appear in the footer of online article pages.
Search & Promoted Listings
- Yelp ads are placed as the first search result and are noted by a "Yelp Ad" text and with slight yellow shading. Otherwise, they look and feel exactly like a Yelp search result.
- Through the combined search advertising marketplace made up of Yahoo!, Bing, and partner sites, the Yahoo! Bing Network is a major player in this native category.
- Solve offers captcha replacement, which is an attractive opportunity for brands, prompting a user to engage in a type-in exercise.
- A branded playlist is a collection of songs presented with branded cover art image and text, which can include a link to a webpage. A branded app is integrated inside Spotify, and offers a portal for brands to present playlists and messaging.
Branded Radio Stations
Branded Radio Stations
- Pandora creates branded radio stations. For example, it has more than 100 branded stations where advertisers attach their brand to songs that fit a particular theme. Pandora worked with Gatorade to create three workout stations — warmup, workout, cool down — all associated with the sports drink’s G series.
Slideshare Content Ads
Slideshare Content Ads
For native advertising to work, advertisers must deliver valuable content that indeed deserves to match the form & function of a site. The opportunity within native advertising is not about finding new ways to interrupt users with traditional ads. It's about delivering advertising as good as the content itself.
- For Vice, the idea to do more branded content was spurred by the company’s partnership with Intel, called the Creators Project, which featured online videos of emerging artists, and a music channel called Noisey sponsored by Dell and Intel.
- YouTube has been a relatively safe platform for brands. However, brands must continue to push the creative envelope. Experience the world of Red Bull like you have never seen it before. With the best action sports clips on the web and YouTube exclusive series, prepare for your "stoke factor" to be at an all time high.
- Brands, including Urban Outfitters, are experimenting with how to take advantage of the 6 second video application. Lowe's is also a good example of how to utilize Vine, as they created a clip that highlighted how to pull out a stripped screw.
- In May, Target Corp. teamed up with Pinterest to help upgrade both the social networking site and the retail chain’s online presence. Many e-commerce brands consider Pinterest one of the most important social media platforms out there.
Sharethrough is a technology platform that powers in-feed, "native" ad placements, enabling publishers to manage and sell native ads on web & mobile. Like Facebook Sponsored Stories or Twitter Promoted Tweets, but built for the rest of the web.
We empower brands and creative agencies to break out of typical :15/:30 video spots and banner advertisements to produce longer, entertaining brand content. This can be a video (like those on sharethrough.tv), a sponsored post, or any other type of content that has inherent value purely beyond advertising.
We provide a marketing platform for media agencies to distribute brand content through native ad placements on web & mobile. Content is delivered in a format that is choice-based, visually-integrated, and feels natural to the user experience in which it is placed.
We provide a native monetization platform to leading publishers that allows them to generate revenue in a way that is “native” (translation: thoughtfully designed and integrated) to their user experience, as opposed to interruptive.